Whether or not a structure is permanent or temporary, grating stair treads are an economical way to create a durable and maintenance-free space for pedestrians or workers to walk safely. Providing a safe anti-slip walkway indoors and outdoors can help prevent worksite injuries and liability.
Choosing the right grating for your space can be tricky, given all of the options Webforge provides. We will highlight how to select the right bar grating stair tread for your team's specific needs.
What are the different types of grating stair treads?
Stairways are a common sight when you see a work site or drive through an industrial area. Along those stairways are stair treads (or stair nosings) that keep pedestrians safe from slipping as they climb up or down toward their destination.
Webforge stair treads are built on rugged, high-performance, bar grating steps that are created to maximise stair slip resistance. There are four different metal choices of grating profiles and format:
- Steel grating: Steel grating is a durable alloy that is known for its corrosion resistance. This plate will keep its shape in high heat, freezing temperatures, extreme rainfall and forceful winds.
- Aluminium grating: Aluminium stair treads are a cost-effective, lightweight option that is resistant to corrosion. It's not as strong as steel but is lighter, which may be an important consideration.
- Stainless steel grating: Stainless steel grating is known not for its strength but its resistance to bacteria and corrosion. It also has high durability against common weather conditions and high traffic.
- Fibreglass reinforced plastic (FRP) grating: Manufactured using a method called pultrusion, FRP is a mesh of vertical and horizontal layers of fibre and liquid resin. It will not spark if metal objects are dropped on it, does not conduct electricity, is easy to cut and is non-magnetic.
These four options can combine with three different nosing types:
- Plain: If you chose to not have any nosing, this would be your option.
- Floor plate: The floor plate is a diamond metal with a checker plate surface to provide a grippier stair. Used for a busy grating stair and is resistant to wear. It is usually found in places like commercial buildings, industrial and residential settings.
- Abrasive: Abrasive nosing is both reflective and slips resistant. It's a gritty material that is built with fibreglass material.
Setting up a safe stair system
Before you set something up yourself, you'll want to discuss your plans with a professional that is aware of the relevant Australian standards, building codes and standards. All of Webforge's stairways follow the standards set by AS1657, which states that a grating stair needs to be visible against its background.
Our tread endplates begin with a 65 x 5 flat bar but can be customised for less than 40mm if necessary. Each stair is snipped at 35 degrees for stair consistency and reliability. Our safety grating extends across the full length of the stair, is slip-resistant and can be seen in all lighting conditions.
Grating stair tread applications
Choosing the right grating stair treads will depend on your budget and the setting of the treads. For industrial areas, you need to consider what type of weather and how often the stair treads will be used. A durable tread that can withstand any weather condition without deteriorating or corroding is essential in such a context. By contrast, if the site will be taken down or replaced frequently, a recyclable metal like aluminium could be a great option.
Diamond floor plates are great for areas that have high visibility at all times of the day. Indoor applications could be suitable because the lighting is consistent and there will be no contact with weather conditions like rain that may make the material more slippery.
Abrasive nosing from Webforge comes in a safety yellow strep that can be seen in any lighting level. This type of defined visible nosing can be used indoors or outdoors and exposed to slippery conditions such as rain, ice or oil.
Custom stair tread manufacturing
If you're looking for premade or custom stair tread manufacturing, Webforge should be your primary provider. We stay up to date with the latest Australian standards and can work with your space no matter the location or needs. Providing safe working conditions with bar grating stair treads you can trust is our passion.
There are several options to choose from and conditions to consider, so contact us today and get in touch with one of our service professionals. We can help with any questions or provide a quote for your project at any time.